Friday, March 26, 2010

Refashion - T-shirt skirt

I found this great tutorial and had to make this cute skirt for the girls. I changed mine up a bit: I only added the ruffles to the front of the skirt and I sewed the elastic right to the fabric instead of encasing it. I thought it would be less bulky around the waist this way. I also added two skinny strips of fabric to the top row so that you won't see the sewing stitch and it makes an extra ruffle.
Since I made my skirts out of 2 old white t-shirts I dyed it on the stove. I knew white skirts on a 4 & 5 year old would not be white for long! I dyed each skirt one at a time and learned that the first item will be a bit darker so if you want the items to match you should dye them in a bigger pot at the same time. I need to get a bigger pot!

Anyway... it was easy to make and pretty cute for about $1.50 a skirt (elastic & dye). I'll add a photo with the girls wearing them soon, but it is cold and rain today.

4 comments:

Ren said...

Totally funky. And for a second, I thought you were cooking borscht. LOL!

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

This is very, very awesome.

Sikes Family said...

So cute! I think they are adorable.

TheFrogBag said...

Wow! Super cute idea!